Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wild Bird Release

Last Tuesday a woodpecker that lives in a bird box outside our house ran into our living room window. I went outside and found him on the ground with his eyes closed. I gently put him in a little box and took him to the Peninsula Humane Society/SPCA's new Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. The wonderful people there put him in a special incubator for birds with head trauma and nursed him back to health.

This morning I picked up the woodpecker, brought him home, and released him back near his bird box. As you can see from this video taken by my husband David, the woodpecker is as good as new!

He is a Downey Woodpecker, and so I've named him Robby after one of my favorite actors, Robert Downey, Jr.! I'll keep you posted on his activities. And if "he" is really a female, well call our friend Roberta! I'll be seeing some of you today at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center's Open House at 1450 Rollins Road in Burlingame. See you there!